Welcome

If you are new here then welcome! Come on in and feel free to look around. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. You might enjoy today's post or you might enjoy older posts under the blog archives on the sidebar. If you'd like to sign up as a follower you can do that on the sidebar as well. I just love to see those smiling faces! You can now follow by email and receive alerts when a new post is published. As always your comments are welcome as long as they are reader friendly. You will find my email under the view my complete profile if you'd like to email me your comment instead. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Frugal Meals



One of the ways we use up leftovers in our house is to make freezer soup or stew.

When we have veggies leftover and it isn’t enough to warm up as a side dish the next night, we put it in a big bowl in the freezer.

When the freezer bowl is full we make soup or stew in the crockpot.

The soup shown above was freezer soup with browned meat. I opened a small can of tomato sauce , 1 can of diced tomatoes, and about a Tbsp. of Kitchen Bouquet. Then cooked it all day in the crockpot. Served it with shredded cheese on top.








When I have cornbread left over I throw it in the freezer. Lately there hasn’t been any cornbread due to the oven being out. In that case I save hush puppies and hoe cakes in the freezer plus loaf bread that is getting old. When I have enough I make dressing in the crockpot. I add chicken or our family favorite is browned and crumbled sausage. Then I make a white sauce and use chicken base and boiled eggs and sometimes a little kitchen bouquet to make our “giblet gravy” with no giblets to serve on top.

The pic of the dressing was Charlie’s plate. We were laughing at the healthy portions he had on there and how smothered in gravy the dressing was!

In both pics you’ll notice my homemade napkins I made a year ago. They are flour sack towels, quartered , that way I only had to hem two sides on each one. That size is perfect for napkins. It cuts down on the paper towel usage in our house, which is both thrifty and good for the landfill. I made twenty- four out of six towels. I only launder when we use them all up. I used to worry about ironing them but as long as I hang dry them they really don’t need it. Plus they look so pretty swaying in the breeze.




Happy tightwadding!

Until next time…….Kristi.