Welcome

If you are new here then welcome! Come on in and feel free to look around. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. You might enjoy today's post or you might enjoy older posts under the blog archives on the sidebar. If you'd like to sign up as a follower you can do that on the sidebar as well. I just love to see those smiling faces! You can now follow by email and receive alerts when a new post is published. As always your comments are welcome as long as they are reader friendly. You will find my email under the view my complete profile if you'd like to email me your comment instead. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pumpkin Part 1

With Thanksgiving coming up, I thought I'd dedicate the next two weeks to pumpkin.  First up is my favorite pumpkin pie recipe.  I think I got it off the back of a can of pumpkin almost 15 years ago and I've used it ever since.  The older versions, the one's made with evaporated milk,  tend to be kind of bland in my opinion.  This one uses sweetened condensed milk and individual spices that give it plenty of favor.  Please remember that pumpkin is full of fiber, so eat in moderation.  (Uhh hmm...Charlie)

Pumpkin Pie

Makes 1 (9 inch) pie

1 (15oz) can pumpkin  (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
Topping optional

Preheat oven to 425*.  In large bowl combine all ingredients except pie crust; mix well.  Pour into prepared pie crust.  Bake 15 minutes.  Reduce oven heat to 350*.  Continue baking 35-40 minutes or as directed for topping if using. If crust starts over browning then cover edge with foil. If knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean, it's done.  Cool. Can garnish with whipped topping if desired.  Store in refrigerator. 

Topping:

In medium bowl combine 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour;  cut in 1/4 cup cold butter or marg until crumbly.  Stir in 1/4 cup chopped nuts.  After pie has baked 30 minutes at 350* sprinkle evenly over top.  Bake 10 minutes longer. 


Someone gave us a tator pumpkin last year.  I cooked it up and stored it in ziplock bags in the freezer in 2 cup portions.  Last time I made the above pie I used my home cooked pumpkin in place of canned and that made up more than my pie shell would hold.  I ended up with about 1/2 cup left over.  Instead of throwing it out or saving it to add to pancake batter ( because I knew I'd forget about it and have to throw it out anyway.....)  I got to wondering what would happen if I put it in a batch of brownies.  Only one way to find out. They turned out pretty good.  Kind of chewy pumpkiny brownie bar.  Anyway here's the ingredients. 

Pumpkin Brownie Bars

1/2 cup of above seasoned pumpkin batter
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350*.  Melt butter in pan in oven.  (9 x 9)  Combine ingredients, then add in butter once melted.  Mix well.  Pour in pan and bake about 30 minutes. 

(I didn't add eggs since there were eggs in the pumpkin batter.  If the batter seems a little dry to you, add an egg. )


Next week in pumpkin:  Pumpkin Roll
                                        Pumpkin Dessert

Until next time.......Happy Eating!