Welcome

If you are new here then welcome! Come on in and feel free to look around. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. You might enjoy today's post or you might enjoy older posts under the blog archives on the sidebar. If you'd like to sign up as a follower you can do that on the sidebar as well. I just love to see those smiling faces! You can now follow by email and receive alerts when a new post is published. As always your comments are welcome as long as they are reader friendly. You will find my email under the view my complete profile if you'd like to email me your comment instead. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

To Be or Not To Be Green, That Is the Question

My sis-in-law, Heather, gave me a book at Christmas about “going green”. As she handed it to me she said it sounded like me. I was skeptical. For one, I don’t like the term “green”. I think it’s over used. It’s become a fad. Companies over use the word to market their wares and use that slogan to sell it under false pretenses. Sort of like when foods boast “no trans fat” on the front of the package in an attempt to sound healthy; they are hoping you don’t notice that it’s 6,000 calories per teaspoon. (Stepping down slowly now……as not to tip that soapbox.)

I decided to give the book a try. And not long into the book I realized this girl knows what she’s talking about. She hooked me when she warned of companies green washing you; using the slogan to save the planets resources but not really doing so. (one smart cookie)

Further into the book I caught myself saying, “I already do that.”, “I have that product” , and thinking I'm doing ok at this but then came the words“I never knew that.”

There is a lot about carbon dioxide emissions in there that I never realized before. For instance, I learned that burning natural gas releases around 320 pounds of CO2 annually. And that the average American is responsible for about 22 tons of emissions per year. I always thought industrial giants were the culprits but as it turns out personal activity accounts for more than 30 percent of all emissions in the United States.

Wow!

I would like to say that all our trash cut back, composting, and cutting out paper products in the kitchen is purely honorable but mainly it’s for selfish reasons. One reason being, I want to save money and the less we use that has to be tossed the less has to be bought and replaced. Meaning more money staying in the house than leaving it. Especially when it’s leaving for convenience items like paper towels or paper plates. Sadly, the bigger reason for our switch is just pure laziness. In my old age I don’t want to have to run to the store when I suddenly discover we are out of milk. Now I can just mix up more powdered milk. Or if we are out of paper towels I can just reach for a dish towel or cloth napkins. The homemade cloth pads are such a convenience; no taking stock constantly to keep from running out or , heaven forbid, being caught unaware.

Granted, in my laziness I’m saving three milk jugs a week from ending up in the landfill, that just happens to be a plus in my favor.

I’m learning more areas where I can make do and use what I have on hand for convenience and to recycle at the same time.

I love these scrubbies.





They are cheap and really useful in the kitchen.

I recently ran out because I forgot to pick up another package of them while at the store.

I was in need of a scrubbie but was too lazy to run to the dollar store to pick up more just for that particular cleaning job.

I looked around and remembered a crochet project of dishtowels using left over yarn and plastic bags for the centers to use for scrubbing dishes. I had plenty of plastic bags so I crocheted up about five scrubbies in just a few minutes sans the yarn. I didn’t need them to be pretty just useful. I made them in varying sizes to see what would work best for me.

They ended up working great and can actually be cleaned out better than my store bought versions. Food particles aren’t trapped in it as easily and that means better sanitation.

I’ve used them for washing dishes in the kitchen and made a few for the bathroom to use in scrubbing the vanity and shower. I’ll never go back to the store bought again.

I used to save plastic bags to use as garbage bags but because we generate less garbage now and compost more, bags were coming out our ears around the house. I’ve since made up several balls of plarn to make more scrubbies out of and even made an outside door mat.
 

I admire those that are trying to remove their carbon footprint and if everyone would just change one habit it would greatly improve things for future generations. If dinosaurs had used plastic water bottles we’d all be digging up prehistoric relics in our backyards today. Those things don’t’ break down. They’ll tell a lot about us in millenniums to come. You’ve heard of the iron age well we will be known as the plastic age. And the proof will still be here to prove it.

Just food for thought.

 
If you would like to read more about going green and learn more ways of reducing carbon dioxide emissions the book is entitled: Green Chic- Saving the Earth in Style. by Christie Matheson. 

Disclosure: I received no compensation for reference to this book.  All opinions are my own.