Welcome

If you are new here then welcome! Come on in and feel free to look around. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. You might enjoy today's post or you might enjoy older posts under the blog archives on the sidebar. If you'd like to sign up as a follower you can do that on the sidebar as well. I just love to see those smiling faces! You can now follow by email and receive alerts when a new post is published. As always your comments are welcome as long as they are reader friendly. You will find my email under the view my complete profile if you'd like to email me your comment instead. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Found this recipe last week and tried it.  Had to put my own spin on it to use up peas and half a can of tomatoes out of the frig.  It was really good!

Had to pass it along.

This is the original recipe as I obtained it from Doing My Best for Him blog.

Tamale Pie

1 lb. hamburger
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 can corn
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can tomatoes
2 Jiffy corn bread mixes (sweet cornbread mix)
Cheese

Brown hamburger, drain, add taco seasoning. Add veggies and beans. Place in casserole dish and cover with cheese. Mix cornbread batter according to directions and pour over casserole. Bake as directed for corn bread.


Here's how I made it:

I used ground turkey and cooked diced onion with it.  Seasoned it with a little seasoning salt and then added homemade taco seasoning. 

I didn't have black beans or canned pinto beans so I used black eyed peas leftover from New Years' Dinner the day before(rinsed and drained). 

I used one can of whole kernel corn, drained.  And a half can of diced tomatoes, drained. (left over from salads)

I followed the recipe for the remainder except the sweet cornbread mix. 

I made up a" from scratch" version for that and sweetened it with maple syrup.  It made the whole house smell good.

Cornmeal Muffins

2/3 cup corn meal
1 1/3 cup flour
(for a total of 2 cups of grains)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Mix with fork or sift together.

Mix
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup shortening, melted

Add liquid to dry ingredients.  Stir to mix.  Bake about 30 minutes at 400*.  Time approx.  just watch closely around twenty. 

Happy eating.......Kristi.