Welcome

If you are new here then welcome! Come on in and feel free to look around. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. You might enjoy today's post or you might enjoy older posts under the blog archives on the sidebar. If you'd like to sign up as a follower you can do that on the sidebar as well. I just love to see those smiling faces! You can now follow by email and receive alerts when a new post is published. As always your comments are welcome as long as they are reader friendly. You will find my email under the view my complete profile if you'd like to email me your comment instead. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Rest of the Story



So did you figure out what it's made of yet? It's an embroidery hoop with three sheer curtain panels, a little string and a very difficult hook.
I took a larger embroidery hoop and threaded the curtains on upside down. I installed the center hoop too just to make it more stable. I could go back and paint the hoop but it's fine for now.
Next I used string and tried to tie it as even as possible. Then I had to hang it up....
The white ceiling you see is styrofoam. Up above that is a type of wood sheeting called luan. It's like unfinished paneling without the shiny veneer. So I'm thinking I can screw a cup hook into paneling no problem. I didn't exactly consider that I would be doing this over my head, that I wouldn't exactly have good leverage , and didn't stop and think about my height and the fact I keep getting shorter sinking into the mattress. So... I need a pilot hole to start this hook. I get down and locate the hammer and a few nails. The first nail I try is a paneling nail because I didn't want the hole too big. But going through the foam to get to the wood didn't leave any room for my fingers to hold the nail. So I need a longer nail but a skinny nail. The only nail I had in the house that fit that description was a finishing nail. A finishing nail is long and skinny and doesn't have a head on it, you know the flat part of the nail that actually gives you a target to hit at? Yea well imagine that gone...
Now I have hit a lot of nails in my time. But I don't think I have ever tried to drive a nail over my head in my entire life. This revelation hits me just before I swing. But, I say to myself, your husband does this all the time and makes it look easy. Uh huh.. (inserted with sarcasm) So here I am not the right height to be doing this and a first time overhead nailer aiming to hit a headless nail. Sounds like a recipe for success doesn't it? I draw back and take a whack at it. The first swing glances off the nail and zeros in on my thumb. Now much, much later I'm actually thinking that was a good thing because it protected the foam from getting dented by that demonic hammer. But like I say that was much later in the day. Meanwhile I'm dancing on the bed holding my thumb between my legs and turning red in the face and close to blue in the mouth. I'm not sure what the proper word is to say at such a moment but believe me fudge brownies just seemed a little empty. But the hook got installed and the canopy looks good.
It hasn't been any trouble so far. I put the side panels behind the headboard at night while sleeping so we don't get tangled up in it and spread them out when I make the bed in the mornings.
I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it up or not. I'll give it a few weeks and see. It's simple to hang up or take down which ever I decide. I know one thing for sure, canopy or no canopy that hook stays right where it is!!! Until next time.....Kristi