Welcome

If you are new here then welcome! Come on in and feel free to look around. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. You might enjoy today's post or you might enjoy older posts under the blog archives on the sidebar. If you'd like to sign up as a follower you can do that on the sidebar as well. I just love to see those smiling faces! You can now follow by email and receive alerts when a new post is published. As always your comments are welcome as long as they are reader friendly. You will find my email under the view my complete profile if you'd like to email me your comment instead. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Field Trip!!

We had an impromptu field trip this weekend.  I'm talking we planned this and prepared for this in about an hour.  With everything going on with my mother this past school year, we didn't take a field trip.  Better late than never, right? 

We went bowling and putt putt golfing. I was too busy playing to take pics here.  My natural modesty keeps me from gloating on how well my bowling game was.  :)



 We had a picnic.
At Pinson Mounds.  An ancient Indian burial ground and archeology park.  I haven't been here since I was in elementary school.  My husband has lived here for thirty years and this was his first time.

Then we went into the museum. (Looks like Teletubbies should come out to play any minute.)
Then we hit the trails.  Up first is Saul's Mound.  This is huge!  The pics don't do it justice.
Just beyond this mound is a field with depressions in it.  The indians carried baskets of dirt from that field to build Saul's Mound. 

On the backside of Saul's Mound are steps to the top.






View from the top.



The view was beautiful.  We counted six cell towers off in the distance in the first pic. The second pic is the backside of the museum.


We had it to ourselves so took our time taking pics. 



There are mounds scattered everywhere here.  Our next stop on the trail was the boardwalk that ends at an overlook of the South Forked Deer River.



This tree caught our eye.  Again, the camera shrinks it to fit the frame.  Trust me this tree was massive.

 
I had Charlie stand by it to show contrast but again the "real life" is so unbelievable.  The camera version not so much.

Straight as can be and no limbs until the top. 


  It would have taken all three of us or more to wrap around the base of it. 


We had such a great time.  There was no entrance fee or admittance fee at the park or museum plus we had a picnic lunch. So it was very inexpensive.  While eating we marveled at the difference between our peaceful eating spot and the noises of a restaurant.  We all agreed we came out on top with our choice.  And we enjoyed each others company.  With the money we saved we hope to take another excursion this summer or fall and have more quality family time together.

Until next time........Kristi.