Welcome

If you are new here then welcome! Come on in and feel free to look around. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. You might enjoy today's post or you might enjoy older posts under the blog archives on the sidebar. If you'd like to sign up as a follower you can do that on the sidebar as well. I just love to see those smiling faces! You can now follow by email and receive alerts when a new post is published. As always your comments are welcome as long as they are reader friendly. You will find my email under the view my complete profile if you'd like to email me your comment instead. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy First Day of Autumn!



And what a beautiful season it is!


"As summer ebbs, there is a taste of fall in the air, but I have never been able to analyze it. The world is still full of ripeness, and noons are hot. The roadside stands blaze with color; pumpkins add their rich yellow to the vegetable gardens. Zinnias and marigolds splash patchwork hues. Wild roadside grasses feather out in cinnamons and mauves. Surely everything is the same.
But on one night as dusk deepens over the pond, I notice a cool mist is rising. And the twilight breeze is touched with chill. Do I imagine that the green of the maples is not so assertive? And is there a faint haze over the old apple orchard? And why do I suddenly look at the woodpile just to be sure it is as high as it should be?
The Full Sturgeon Moon rises over the swamp on a serene landscape. But slowly and as always nature follows her own pattern. And mankind cannot change it even in this superscientific era. We must still pick the blueberries now before it is too late. We must fill the house with gladiola, and we must clean the great fireplace and lay a good apple-wood fire.
And as I walk in the yard at moonrise to say my good night to the world, I find myself with a new message-may autumn bring us her own gifts as the leaves turn."
-Passage from Country Chronicle by Gladys Taber